Thursday, September 4, 2008

Its Football Time

It is football time in America. I have been looking forward to this season more than usual. It all started last week with the college football season. I even broke down and recorded the Wake Forest and Baylor game.

I am involved in 3 fantasy football leagues. Two are serious, and I was guilted into one of them. I am not as interested in fantasy sports like I used to be, but it is a good way to stay involved with my buddies. Maybe (although highly doubtful) put a little coin in my pocket.

I am also a pollster in the KK&C College Football Top 20 college football poll. This is my first experience with a football poll, and I have to say my inexperience is showing. I hope to get a little better as the time goes by.

My Texas Tech Red Raiders defeated Eastern Washington. I can't really defend TT scheduling. They generally play high school teams prior to Big 12 play. I will say that they tried to play a semi quality opponent in Tulsa, but they were shafted at the last minute. I didn't see the game, but I have a few questions about the defense. I have long thought they were a decent defense away from challenging in the Big 12. It looks like all the preseason hype over the defense maybe a little overstated. I shouldn't knee jerk, but I think it is more a case of not getting my hopes up. They generally lay a frustrating egg. I think there will be a clearer picture of how this season will go after the game against Nevada. Nevada apparently runs the ball like crazy.

Finally I am in an NFL suicide poll. I have gone in with a buddy, but if you knew the typical results of our endeavors you would be asking me why I even bother. It seems like we always start with a "there is no way we can lose" attitude only to be disappointed. Sometimes the disappointment doesn't show its face until the last minute, but usually it rears it's ugly head way earlier. This time I think we have conceded that there is no way we'll win. I guess it softens the blow of losing.

Can't wait for Redskins/Giants, but I really can't wait until the Cowboys. Have fun with football season. I hope to have an update sometime during the season.

No comments: