Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The State of Television

I feel like I have been in front of the computer for about 90% of my waking hours the last two days, but I wanted to get this in before vacation.

I am not a big television fan anymore. There are very few shows that I make a point to see, and two of the season finales (My Name is Earl and The Office) remain unwatched on the DVR. That being said, I think TV is in a sad state of affairs. Here are my arguments:

1 Cartoon Network should've never been invented. I remember when I was young one of the special things about the holidays was the cartoons that were shown in the evening. I think the rarity of seeing a cartoon at night was one of the things that made the holidays feel special. It is still my favorite time of year. I try to share that with my kids, but instead seeing The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, they want to see Sponge Bob. Forget there is a daily Sponge Bob marathon on one of the cartoon channels.

2 Much like the movie industry, television has run out of new ideas. See Reality TV, movie reruns, and 13 different Law and Order series. I am not a total TV snob, I enjoy the Amazing Race, Biggest Loser, and CSI fill in the blank. I couldn't tell you what night the shows air, but I will stop down if I come across one.

3 They need to outlaw the advertisements that run across the bottom of the screen. I can't begin to tell you how annoying that is. TNT (and the cartoon stations) is a serious offender. Once they have a new show or new mini series, they run that animation that will literally take up half the screen. If people care about watching The Closer they will make a note of when it airs when they see one of the promos that run during every commercial break.

4 Soap Operas! I don't understand them at all! If you enjoy them, more power to you, but you will never convince me that they are quality entertainment. They pass each other around, their kids go from 2 year old to teenagers overnight, and if someone leaves they don't get rid of the character they replace them with someone who looks nothing like the previous person.

I guess they can't show the UFC, Cowboys and Rangers all of the time. It sure would be a better world if they could.

No comments: