Thursday, April 17, 2008

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck?

I was talking on the phone with Jennifer this afternoon when I spotted a strange creature lurking outside the office. After our conversation concluded I decided to take a closer look at said creature. I followed it for several yards trying to be as inconspicuous as possible. I discovered that it was a friendly woodchuck. Also known as a ground hog or marmot to some. I returned to my computer to research our friend the woodchuck. Little did I realize these guys are extremely terrifying. Here is what I found:

The wily woodchuck is an inoffensive yet challenging target. While normally harmless, the woodchuck can become dangerous when aroused. It is frequently hunted at ranges of 200-400 yards. Although many people believe that this is because they are shy and easily frightened, quickly disappearing into their burrows, experienced hunters know that the extended range is for personal safety. It is critical to move cautiously when encountering groups of woodchucks, as they are known to engage in cooperative behavior and react explosively.

As you can see from this picture that I able to take shortly before I fled the scene, I was well within the woodchuck's kill zone. To add to my Ten Things Tuesday, I am thankful to still be alive.

1 comment:

David said...

Inconspicuous? Looks like your office caught the whole thing on tape....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q41Owuq6_m0