Monday, April 14, 2008

Meanwhile back at the ranch

Sorry it has been a while. I spent the majority of last week in West Texas. I was invited, along with the rest of the IT department, to visit the Man's Ranch (the man being the founder of my company). This is the Man's way of giving something back to his employees. The idea is spend some time away from work to recharge the batteries. I have to admit that I wasn't really looking forward to it because I spend so much time away from home anyway. I glad that I went. We had a good time, and I finally got to meet more people in my department.

We began with a flight to Midland, from there we drove about 2 hours to the ranch. We enjoyed some free time that night. There is a movie theater, shuffle board, darts, pool, and various card games that you can use to occupy your time. I decided to watch "No Country for Old Men". I thought it was a pretty good movie, but I fell asleep during the last 10 minutes so I didn't see the ending. I heard it wasn't that good anyway.

The next day we had our choice of various outdoor activities. I went cowboy and rode a horse. I haven't been on a horse in about 15 years, and I have to tell you I wish I more opportunities. I rode a paint horse named Monkey. He had a little bit of temper, and the other horses knew it. Every time he got close to one of them, they would move away and he would follow right after them. He kept me busy. I rode a 4 wheeler that afternoon. We weren't allowed to take them off the main road. That combined with a 25 mph speed limit, and a 50 mph wind didn't make an enjoyable ride. More movies and games in the evening.

I took it easy the next morning, and rode a horse again in the afternoon. This time it was a horse named Clyde. He must of been half Clydesdale because he was really tall. Riding a horse was a nice way to see the country side. Although I realized that I an no cowboy. That horse jumped a few times, and I thought I was going to die. It is amazing how fast an animal that large can move.

We drove to Midland on Saturday and flew home. As I said before, I enjoyed my time out there. It was nice to see Midland again, even though it was only from the air. There aren't many trees out on the ranch, but I think it there is some beautiful countryside there. I hope to go back next year.

Sorry for the long post, but I had a lot to say. Tomorrow there will be 10 things Tuesday. At some point I will share what went on at home while I was away, and a few thoughts on the Man.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Horses are great! I had two horses growing up & rode them often. They are beautiful animals & wish I had one or two now!

I was cowgirl Jill. I had horses and a ton of pigs! Picture me mixing & feeding slop to pigs... not pretty!

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

Hey! I tagged you ~ it’s an EASY one! You can find it in “Two-fer For Tuesday!” on my blog.

Also...get up your list, MAN! Now you have two great blog ideas for today!